www.amandatemple.com • 441 236 2339 • amandatemplebermuda@gmail.com

Wednesday 6 January 2010

Me, Myself and my Reflection... oh and a little contest...

Alice was onto something... she spends her days musing over what might be beyond the looking glass, and to her astonishment, she is actually able to pass through and be part of an alternate world. A weird and wonderful place where flowers talk to her and she is part of a chess game. A world where poetry is used as communication and one happens upon an incredible array of characters.
We spend much of our lives looking through windows, in the mirror and at distorted reflections in an infinite number of shiny objects. Though I don't really ponder what might be beyond, I have always been fascinated by the myriad of layered images that reflective surfaces create. While travelling, I found it an interesting way to include myself in my images. Rather than placing the burden on passers-by, I decided that my reflection would make for more interesting portraits. Over the past ten years I have shot hundreds of these - some far more successful and amusing than others, but these multi-layered images have always intrigued me.
I first started shooting self portraits in university 20 years ago. I had been using my friends as models, but after a time they lost their patience so I had no choice. At the end of this post are a few I dug up. They were film obviously - and many of them 3200 so they are pretty grainy...










And a few oldies...





And now the contest...
I'd love to see some of your self portraits. Send a jpeg to me at amanda@amandatemple.com. I'll do a post with a few of my favourites a month from today. The winner will receive a mini session. A portrait of just you here in my garden - in your favourite outfit, holding your favourite object...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...