www.amandatemple.com • 441 236 2339 • amandatemplebermuda@gmail.com

Sunday 6 April 2014

Inspired by two masters...

Van Gogh is one of my favourite artists. I bought a book when I was at the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam about ten years ago. It is a compilation of his letters to his brother Theo. The way he described light and colour is so beautiful to read. This exhibition focused on the tragedy of his suicide. It was heartbreaking to think about his sadness but to feel so happy myself at looking at the beauty of every one of his brushstrokes.
I spent hours wandering slowly through the various exhibits in awe of the genius that surrounded me. I left the Musée d'Orsay feeling enriched, but still my sadness lingered. Artists are often tortured souls, so I turned my thoughts inward and found myself incredibly grateful that for the most part I am filled with joy. That I am incredibly fortunate to live in Bermuda and am able to travel, and that seeing and creating brings me peace and happiness.








I have long admired the work of Henri Cartier-Bresson and a couple days ago I went to an exhibition at Centre Pompidou featuring over 500 of his photographs. Not only were the images themselves fascinating and beautiful, but so was the text. To read about how he worked and learn about his life was a true pleasure. That day I looked at people differently. I was more interested in all the strangers about me. I normally photograph the architecture, but now I was intrigued by each person I passed. And I saw differently too. This city is filled with so many incredible characters and I longed to photograph them all. I have always struggled with this though, as I feel like I am invading a sort of privacy. So I tread with care, hopeful that I would not get caught... I wonder if Monsieur Cartier-Bresson ever felt like that?
This series of images was actually taken the day before I went to the exhibition. I will head out today to shoot more, it will be interesting to see if there is a big difference in what I capture...


























 And here are a few from the Centre Pompidou...







 I took a little train ride to see a bit of the countryside...


 And that evening I went to Laurent, and had an exquisite supper. It was a set menu with wine pairings. They are known for their extensive wine list. It was one of the best meals I have had in a long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...